For you are not come to the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor to blackness, and darkness, and tempest,…
I. What are the PECULIAR PRIVILEGES of the members of Christ's Church?
1. The first and greatest, because the foundation of all the rest is, union with Christ.
2. Association with the whole body of the faithful.
3. The right to the heavenly inheritance.
II. If the PRIVILEGES of all who "are come unto Mount Zion" are thus precious and ennobling, their DUTIES are proportionate.
1. Correspondent to the first-named privilege there is the duty of loyalty to Christ.
2. Correspondent to the second privilege, there is the duty of love to the brethren.
3. It is the duty of the members of Christ's Church, as heirs of the celestial inheritance, to set their hearts and hopes on heaven.
(J. M. McCulloch, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
WEB: For you have not come to a mountain that might be touched, and that burned with fire, and to blackness, darkness, storm,