And the men turned their faces from there, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.…
I. THE BURDEN OF THE DIVINE ANNOUNCEMENT.
II. THE IMPRESSION WHICH THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MADE ON ABRAHAM'S MIND.
1. There was a natural anxiety about his kinsman, Lot.
2. There was also a fear lest the total destruction of the cities of the plain might prejudice the character of God in the minds of the neighbouring peoples.
III. THE ELEMENTS OF ABRAHAM'S INTERCESSION.
1. It was lonely prayer.
2. It was prolonged prayer.
3. It was very humble prayer.
4. This prayer was based on a belief that God possessed the same moral intuitions as himself.
5. This prayer was persevering.
IV. OBSERVE ONE OF THE GREAT PRINCIPLES IN THE DIVINE GOVERNMENT OF THE WORLD. A whole city had been spared if ten righteous men had been found within its walls. Ungodly men little realize how much they owe to the presence of the children of God in their midst.
(F. B. Meyer, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.