Cast your bread on the waters: for you shall find it after many days.
I. THERE ARE CERTAINTIES AND UNCERTAINTIES IN REFERENCE TO GOD.
1. God worketh all. His wisdom plans, His power executes, and His love reigns over all.
2. The method is unknown.
II. THERE ARE CERTAINTIES AND UNCERTAINTIES IN REFERENCE TO PROVIDENCE.
1. Man's agency is subordinate. There are things certain belonging to man as the subject, minister, interpreter, symbol of God and of Providence.
(1) Activity is the distinction of man.
(2) The world must go back unless man will work.
2. Man must work according to certain laws. "Cast thy bread upon the waters," etc. It is not certain you shall reap all you sow, but it is absolutely certain you cannot reap unless you sow.
III. THERE ARE CERTAINTIES IN REFERENCE TO SOCIETY. "Give a portion to seven, and also to eight," etc.
1. That men have certain moral and spiritual duties to discharge.
2. That the latent evil of the human heart is liable to explosion.Conclusion: —
1. Cultivate as much as possible your thinking powers.
2. Let not She uncertainties connected with Providence tempt you either to indolence or to despondency.
3. Work in faith through the power of God.
Parallel VersesKJV: Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.