And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.…
1. On Mount Moriah we find Abraham doing God's will; here we find him suffering it.
2. Look at Abraham buying a grave; the best man of his age here bargains for burial ground. Ponder well this transaction, and consider that in return for four hundred pieces of silver Abraham gets a burying-place.
3. The behaviour of the children of Heth calls for appreciative notice. They treated Abraham with generous pity and helpfulness.
4. Man's final requirement of man is a grave. In the grave there is no repentance; the dead man cannot obliterate the past.
5. Abraham mourned for Sarah. Consecration to God's purpose does not eradicate our deep human love; say, rather, that it heightens, refines, sanctifies it.
(J. Parker, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.