And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
I. TO BE CHRIST'S, i.e., to belong to Him as members of His body.
1. The means. Faith makes us one with Christ.
2. The immediate benefits —
(3) protection (Ephesians 5:29, 30).
II. In Christ to be ABRAHAM'S SEED.
1. The Jews and all legalists have despised their birthright and broken away from Abraham.
2. Christ is the true seed of Abraham (ver. 16), and those who are one with Christ by faith become the same through Him. Note
(1) the antiquity;
(2) the nobility of the Christian's ancestry.
III. As Abraham's seed, to be HEIRS OF ABRAHAM'S PROMISE.
1. Of the Spirit (ver. 14), which is the earnest of the inheritance.
2. The full enjoyment of the inheritance in heaven. The Use: Believers should(1) Be content with any earthly estate. In this regard Abraham was content to forsake his country (Hebrews 11:8, 9).
(2) Be moderate in their earthly cares, and not live as drudges in the world.
(3) Have a care for heaven in comparison with which the things of this world are trifles. This did Abraham (Hebrews 11:15, 16).
Parallel VersesKJV: And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.