Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
The law was so called.
I. IN RESPECT OF THE FULLER AND COMPLETE DOCTRINE OF THE NEW TESTAMENT.
II. Because JEWRY WAS A LITTLE SCHOOL set up in a corner of the world and THE LAW AN A.B.C. OR PRIMER in which Christ was revealed in an elementary and obscure manner. Thus we see —
1. That God's ancient people were heirs as well as we: the only difference is the manner which God used in dispensing His blessings.
2. That they were but children in respect of us;
(1) as regards the Mosaic regimen: they were kept subject to more laws than we;
(2) as regards revelation: God has revealed more to us than to them (Luke 10:24; Hebrews 1:1-2).
3. That we should increase in the knowledge and grace of God so as to be answerable to our condition. How sad that a Christian who should be a teacher is often a babe (Hebrews 5:12).
4. That we should rejoice in and live conformably to our privilege as sons.
Parallel VersesKJV: Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: