Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
I. Consider the daring impiety and wickedness of thus calling down on themselves the blood of Christ.
II. Consider the heavy wrath of God which fell on them. In the destruction of Jerusalem.
1. We gather an awful warning from this history. The fulfilment in the Jew of God's righteous anger.
2. It establishes the perfect innocence of the condemned Saviour. The destruction of the Jewish nation was God's seal to the perfect righteousness of Him whom they put to death.
3. This fearful vengeance upon the Jewish nation stands also as an evidence of the truth of the gospel.
4. We have also a moral evidence of the truth of the scriptures in the whole Jewish nation. God hath kept them separate from the nations.
5. Learn to pity and pray for all who do not know the Lord Jesus.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
WEB: All the people answered, "May his blood be on us, and on our children!"