Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
I. THEIR CHARACTER. We do not say that piety is never clothed in the garb of sorrow. The things which excite grief in the ungodly cause it in the godly. But while the sorrow is common, they do not mourn in the same spirit. Sorrow for sin chiefly meant in the text: no source of sorrow equal to this. Mourn for the sins of others; their own small attainment in grace.
1. Their sorrow is sincere.
2. It is bitter, not superficial.
3. It is godly.
4. They mourn in faith.
II. THEIR BLESSEDNESS.
1. They may think that they are far from being in a blessed state.
2. By whom shall they be comforted? By God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
3. How shall comfort be imparted to them? By clear views of Christ and of His grace, etc.
4. By what means does God usually comfort the mourners? Prayer, worship, work, converse, sacrament.
Parallel VersesKJV: Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.