Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
I. THE WISE MEN HERE REFERRED TO. The gospel sometimes triumphs over the world where it is most influential, and reduces the wise, rich, and great into a willing subjection to Christ.
II. THE COUNTRY FROM WHICH THEY CAME.
III. THE MEANS BY WHICH THEY WERE CONDUCTED TO BETHLEHEM. How great are our advantages compared with theirs; they had a .star, we a sun.
IV. THE LIGHT WHICH IS THROWN BY THIS PASSAGE ON SOME OF THE PERFECTIONS OF GOD.
1. On His wisdom, particularly in adapting means to an end.
2. On His power as seen in the star.
3. On His faithfulness as seen in the prophecy mow fulfilled.
4. On His knowledge as displayed in revealing the true intention of Herod.
5. A remarkable illustration of God's superintending providence. The hearts of kings are in His rule; God provides for the safety of His servants.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,