When a strong man armed keeps his palace, his goods are in peace:…
I. Look AT THE DEVIL'S INFLUENCES FOR EVIL.
1. His possession may be more or less apparent.
2. His possession may be more or less oppressive.
II. LOOK AT THE LORD'S APPLIANCES FOR GOOD.
1. The Lord Jesus comes upon Satan. Deliverance is from without, from above.
2. The Lord Jesus stands against Satan.
3. The Lord Jesus rises above Satan.
(1) Strips him of his power.
(2) Deprives him of his prey.
(3) Expels him from his usurped authority in the soul.Lessons:
1. Whether men mean it or not, they do, and they must take sides.
2. Unless the expulsion of evil be by Christ, it will be a temporary relief followed by increased mischief.
3. When sceptical standers-by comment upon the seeming difficulties, the dispossessed soul knows and proves that the dumb spirit is gone.
4. When the unprejudiced observers witness what the Lord is doing, they know by whom it has been done.
(John Richardson, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: