2 Chronicles 28:22-23
And in the time of his distress did he trespass yet more against the LORD: this is that king Ahaz.…
I. THE USE OF AFFLICTIONS. The end of all the Divine dispensations towards mankind is their eternal salvation, in subserviency to the honour of His great name. This end can only be accomplished in the way of repentance, faith, and holiness. The aim, therefore, of all ordinances, providential dispensations, and means of grace, is to beget or strengthen in us these three branches of Christianity. Among the various means which the Lord makes use of for this end, affliction is one of the chief. The right use of afflictions will lead us —
1. To humble ourselves beneath His mighty hand.
2. To ascribe righteousness to Him by confessing our sins and acknowledging the justice of His dealings with us.
3. To return to Him by Jesus Christ.
4. To cleave to Him with full purpose of heart.
5. To submit to His will.
6. To depend upon His grace and power.
7. To walk in His ways.
II. THE DREADFUL CASE OR THOSE WHO DESPISE AND ABUSE THEM (Proverbs 29:1). Ahaz trespassed more and more. Too many are like him (Revelation 16:10, 11).
Parallel VersesKJV: And in the time of his distress did he trespass yet more against the LORD: this is that king Ahaz.