And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:…
I. THE CHARACTERS OF THOSE WHO ARE THE LORD'S SERVANTS HERE, AND SHALL BE CONTINUED IN HIS SERVICE TO SERVE HIM IN HEAVEN.
1. If you are such servants now, as shall be admitted to serve Him in heaven, you will have embraced by faith the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Covenant of grace.
2. If you are such servants now as shall serve Him in heaven, then you have been effectually called, possessed by the Spirit of Christ, quickened, sanctified, and planted by Him into Jesus Christ, after the likeness of HIS death and resurrection from the dead.
3. If you are His servants, who shall serve Him not only in this but the coming world, you will have renounced all other lords and masters.
4. If you are the servants of God and the Lamb, who shall serve Him in heaven, you will live under a sense and conscience of this your dedication, not as your own, but God's.
5. Are you devoted and addicted to the fear of God, not a slavish, but filial fear of Him?
II. THE SERVICE YOU, WHO ARE THE SERVANTS OF GOD NOW, SHALL BE EMPLOYED IN WHEN YOU ARE IN HEAVEN.
1. As to the matter and particular kind of the service of the saints in heaven, it is yet a secret, and in a great measure unknown to us.
(1) The service of the Lord's servants in heaven excludeth all service and duty which imply a state of probation and trial, a state of imperfection, and which have the nature of means leading, by the appointment of God, to salvation with eternal glory as the end.
(2) The service of the saints in heaven will contain in it all those duties that the relation between the Creator and the creature, the Redeemer and the redeemed, doth infer in an eternally fixed state of perfect holiness and happiness.
(3) Your service in heaven will be such as the angels, of God are. employed in.
(4) The service of the Lord's servants in heaven will be the service of special and immediate attendance.
(5) Your service, who are now the servants of God and the Lamb, shall be the service of rulers and governors in the life to come.
(6) Your service and work in heaven will be Sabbath-service and work.
(7) Your service in heaven will be temple-service.
(8) Your service in heaven will be eucharistical service, consisting in the exercise of she praising graces, and performance of the work of praise.
(9) A performance of the duties of love to all your fellow-servants, consistent with a state of perfect blessedness in the full enjoyment of God, will be service in heaven to God and the Lamb.
2. In what manner the Lord's servants shall serve Film in heaven.
(1) Without weakness.
(2) Without weariness.
(3) Without distraction.
(4) Without interruption and intermission; there shall be no impediment from business, or need of sleep.
(5) Without the least defect, imperfection, or sin.
(6) You shall serve Him for ever, even to eternity. Your joys shall be everlasting, and so shall be your thankful service.
III. WHENCE IT IS THEY, WHO ARE GOD'S SERVANTS NOW, SHALL SERVE HIM IN HEAVEN.
1. From the sovereign, rich, and free grace of God.
2. From the merit and intercession of the Son of God.
3. From the efficiency of the Holy Ghost. "He seals the servants of God unto the day of redemption"; and is so good as to "lead them into heaven, the land of uprightness."
4. From the faithfulness of God.
5. From the unchangeableness of God.Conclusion:
1. Is it a part of the happiness of heaven that the servants of God and the Lamb shall serve Him in heaven? then hence we may learn that heaven is a state of eternal service to God and the Lamb.
2. Shall the Lord's servants now serve Him in heaven? then there is more honour and happiness in active doing holy duties than we are well aware of.
3. Shall these, who are His servants now, serve Him hereafter in heaven? Then you have in this what to answer to the atheist's profane query, " What profit is it to serve God?"
4. Learn from this clause of our text, in its connection, that an uninterrupted serving God, and an uninterrupted communion with God, and enjoyment of Him go together.
(James Robe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: