For you will not leave my soul in hell; neither will you suffer your Holy One to see corruption.
Doctrine: Our Lord Jesus Christ, the blessed and Holy One of God, was deeply humbled by His entrance into, and continuing in, the state of the dead for a time.
I. PREMISE SOME THINGS.
1. That our Lord Jesus Christ not only endured, in His last passion, most painful sufferings in His body, but also most grievous torments immediately in His soul. Many great divines understand by the words, "He descended into hell," these soul sufferings of Jesus.
2. The Son of God willingly laid down His life; yielded to the power of death.
3. Though death made a separation of HIS soul from His body, yet His soul and body retained their union with the Divine nature, subsisting in the Person of the son of God.
II. HOW JESUS WAS HUMBLED BY BEING IN THE STATE OF THE DEAD FOR A TIME. Death exercised its dominion over Him, as far as it could in law.
1. Death continued its power and dominion over Him for a time.
2. While in the state of the dead He was cut off from the comforts of this life.
3. Men took occasion to give Him over for lost, and to judge Him as one totally vanquished by death, and without any help or hope.
4. He was further humbled by His soul entering into heaven as the soul of a dead man.
5. In regard that His blessed body was buried and laid in the grave.
6. In regard that His dead body was in the power of His enemies for a time.
III. HOW LONG DID OUR SAVIOUR CONTINUE IN THE STATE OF THE DEAD? Three incomplete days and nights in the territories of death, and land of darkness and forgetfulness.
IV. WHY DID THE LORD JESUS CONTINUE IN THE STATE OF THE DEAD FOR A TIME? That He might conquer death and the grave in their own territories. Use for consolation. Against all challenges for guilt from the law and justice of God, from Satan, or your own consciences. Use for exhortation. Labour to have an interest in the death of Christ.
(James Robe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.