And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:…
I. WHO THEY ARE THAT SHALL SEE THE FACE OF GOD AND THE LAMB IN HEAVEN.
1. All real believers.
2. The Lord's servants.
3. The pure in heart (1 John 3:2, 3).
4. The righteous (Psalm 17:15).
II. WHAT IS IMPORTED IN SEEING THE FACE OF GOD AND THE LAMB.
1. To see the face of God and the Lamb certainly imports being in the immediate presence of God and the Lamb.
2. To see the face of God and the Lamb importeth an ocular bodily sight of a sensible Divine glory; it is a sight of the face of the Lamb of God incarnate, and in the nature of man, with a glorified super-exalted body.
3. To see the face of God and the Lamb importeth a mental and intellectual sight or knowledge of the glorious perfections of God and the Lamb, shining in their brightest lustre.
4. To see the face of God and the Lamb certainly importeth such a discovery and view of God, and of Jesus Christ, as was never attained by any in this life.
5. To see the face of God and the Lamb importeth a perfect enjoyment of the love and favour of God and the Lamb, a sense and feeling of this favour, and the blessed fruits and effects of it.
6. To see the face of God and the Lamb certainly imports a humble and holy confidence and ability to look upon the face of God and the Lamb.
7. To join them together, immediate and familiar communion with, and the enjoyment of God and the Lamb are hinted to us in this expression, as the attainment of the saints in heaven. An expression of more wonderful condescendency cannot be used, than that of Jehovah's way of conversing with Moses (Exodus 33:11).
III. HOW THE SIGHT OF THE FACE OF GOD AND THE LAMB TENDETH UNTO, AND IS A PART OF OUR HAPPINESS IN HEAVEN.
1. The object of this vision is the face of God and the Lamb, that is, the glory of the infinite perfections of God, shining in the highest excellency of their brightness.
2. Consider the act of this vision itself, it is a knowledge of God and His glory — not by report, as all the knowledge of faith we have in this state is; — not by reasoning, as here, which is wearisome and uncertain, but by sight or knowledge directly taking in the glory manifested. It will be a vigorous and efficacious sight, the faculty being strengthened and made able to bear the discoveries of this glory by the object itself.
3. Consider the effects of seeing the face of God and the Lamb in heaven: by this we shall know all things fit for us to know.
IV. WHAT REASON YOU, WHO ARE THE SERVANTS OF GOD AND THE LAMB, NOW HAVE TO BE ASSURED THAT YOU SHALL SEE HIS FACE IN HEAVEN,
1. Yell have good and real right to this happiness, upon a manifold title, such as God the Father's eternal purpose and election.
2. God hath begotten an insatiable desire in you to see His face in heaven.
3. All the Redeemer's offices are engaged to bring all His servants unto God, and set them in His presence for ever.
V. WHEN THE LORD'S SERVANTS SHALL BE ADMITTED TO SEE HIS FACE.
1. Our souls shall, immediately after death, be admitted to see God.
2. The most eminent season of our being admitted to see the face of God and the Lamb is the day of the resurrection; then shall our bodies be raised up glorified, and reunited unto our long-before glorified souls.
(1) To all the hearers of the gospel. Let it be the great scope, end, and business of your lives, to attain this happiness when you die.
(2) Labour to attain to a more certain knowledge and assurance of this, that you shall see His face for ever in heaven.
(3) Think much upon the obligations you are under to God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, for this hope laid up for you in heaven; and live in the continual praises of the ever-blessed Three in One.
(4) Labour to have as much of this happiness of heaven, of the vision of the face of God and the Lamb, here upon earth, as you can attain, and to exercise yourselves much therein.
(5) Live in the earnest, desirous, patient hope and expectation of this happiness laid up for you in heaven; this is good, and blessedness next to the beatifical vision itself.
(6) Let the foresight of this glorious happiness mortify you to all human and earthly glory.
(7) Keep your eyes outward and inward, as these that are to see the face of God and the Lamb.
(8) Study holiness, and endeavour to attain much of it.
(James Robe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: