My times are in your hand: deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from them that persecute me.
"My times are in Thy hand" — the seasons, the stages, and eras of my life, with all their casualties, and opportunities, incidents, and events, are all in Thy hand, under Thy control, and at Thy disposal.
I. MY PROSPEROUS TIMES ARE IN THY HAND.
1. My times of worldly prosperity. This is as clear as it is certain. For though every one may do much to preserve his health, that does not depend entirely on himself, any more than that of his family and friends; his good name is not in his own keeping; his credit is not in his own power; business does not come at his bidding.
2. Times of spiritual prosperity. Without this, the prosperous man is like a vessel in full sail before the wind without ballast, in danger of being dashed to pieces.
II. MY TRYING TIMES ARE IN THY HAND.
1. Times trying to my principles. Times of change of situation, condition, and calling in life; of removal from one place of residence to another; of losses, disappointments, and failures in business; of fraud, injustice, and oppression from men; of adversity, poverty and privations; — are especially trying to men's principles.
2. Times trying to my patience, Times of personal and relative affliction and distress.
III. MY WORKING TIMES ARE IN THY HAND.
1. Times when I am able to work. Every one should have a lawful calling in the world, should abide in his calling, mind the business of his calling, should "study to be quiet, and do his own business, and work with his own hands," as he is commanded.
2. Times when I am specially called to work. Times of abounding iniquity, etc.
IV. MY WAITING TIMES ARE IN THY HAND.
1. Times of waiting on the Lord. In the sanctuary, the family, the closet.
2. Times of waiting for the Lord — for His own time of giving what is good, and for His own way of doing us good.
V. MY DYING TIME IS IN THY HAND. We must all die alone. And while we live, we are dying. Are not times of weakening my strength in the way, of exanimating sickness, of excruciating pain, of wasting lungs, of struggling breath, of loss of appetite, of bodily and mental prostration, so many dying times to every one that is subject to them? Lessons:
1. To acknowledge Thy hand at all times.
2. To commit my spirit into Thy hand.
3. To make my prayer unto the God of my life.
Parallel VersesKJV: My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.