He restores my soul: he leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
I. WHAT ARE THE SEVERAL METHODS OR WAYS WHEREIN THE SOUL OF A CONVERTED CHRISTIAN MAY BE OPPRESSED AND MADE TO DROOP ON LANGUISH?
1. Conscientious apprehensions of sinful guilt.
2. Insolent operation of sinful principles.
3. Incessant assaults of temptation.
4. Ample and more permanent desertions.
5. Near and strong afflictions.
II. HOW DOTH GOD REFRESH AND BEAR UP COMFORTABLY THE SOUL THAT LANGUISHETH UNDER ANY OF THOSE KINDS OF OPPRESSURES?
1. By His Word. This was that which quickened David in his afflictions, and kept him from fainting (Psalm 19:7).
2. By His Spirit. Who is therefore styled the Comforter, because He doth restore joy and cheerfulness.
3. By faith. This is the great restorer of life to any oppressed Christian.
III. WHY DOTH THE LORD RESTORE LIFE, AS IT WERE, AND COMFORT UNTO THE SOULS OF HIS PEOPLE?
1. Necessity on their part. Sense of sin is a heavy thing.
2. Goodness of compassion on God's part.
3. Fidelity and truth in God.
4. His affections are much towards oppressed, and distressed, and languishing souls.Consider a few particulars,
1. Soul oppressions are very painful. The soul is the seat of sweetest comfort or deepest sadness. A little thing in the eye will trouble, and a small thing on the brain is weighty, and any burden on the soul is very heavy.
2. Soul sinkings are very prejudicial.
3. The Lord only hath power over the soul, and the burdens of it. We can mar, and we can trouble our own souls and cast them down, but it is no power and art but that of a God which can raise up, revive, and settle the soul again. The air may be good to refresh some bodies, and merry company to hearten a melancholic body; for sinking bodies, physic, diet, recreation, etc., may be good restoratives; but for souls that are sinking, or sunk, no helps can restore them but such as are like themselves. Spiritual souls, spiritual maladies, are to be raised up with spiritual restoratives only.
(O. Sedgwick, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.