If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.…
1. Because it is Divine in its origin.
(1) This it claims to be (Hebrews 1:1, 2; 2 Peter 1:21; 2 Timothy 4:16).
(2) This it can be proved to be from its fulfilled prophecies and its unique teaching.
2. Because it gives us correct ideas of our condition.
(1) Our sinfulness.
(2) The possibility and way of our salvation.
3. Because it makes us acquainted with our enemies and our dangers.
(1) It exposes the wiles of the devil.
(2) It furnishes us with weapons.
(3) It throws light on our dark and perilous way.
1. With prayer. Prayer gives insight to the searcher, and opens up the depths.
2. With an upright intention of submitting to the will of God. Not going with the desire to nourish preoccupied fancies; nor as a controversialist for polemical weapons, but to know what God has said.
3. Regularly and diligently.
(1) By ourselves.
(2) With our families.
Parallel VersesKJV: If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.