Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD…
I. WHOM ARE WE TO SEEK? "The Lord." This implies —
1. That man is removed from God by sin.
2. That man may get near to God by seeking.
3. That it is his duty to do so.
II. HOW ARE WE TO SEEK THE LORD?
1. By repentance.
(1) The heart broken for sin.
(2) The heart broken from sin.
(3) Reformation of life.
2. By faith.
(1) In God.
(2) In Christ.
III. WHEN ARE WE TO SEEK THE LORD? "Now."
1. To some of you these words contain a reproof.
2. For many of you these words contain a warning.
(1) You will never have a better time. Facilities for seeking the Lord decrease with delay.
(2) You may not have another opportunity. Many have waited for the convenient season which never came.
(E. D. Solomon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.