And if you salute your brothers only, what do you more than others? do not even the publicans so?
I. The GROUNDS FOR EXPECTING MORE from Christians.
1. They profess more.
2. True Christians are more than others.
3. It is certain the true Christian can do more than others, he has the Holy Spirit within him.
4. They have more.
5. They are looking for more than others.
II. MATTERS IN WHICH WE MAY NATURALLY LOOK FOR THE CHRISTIAN TO DO MORE than others.
1. To set a more godly example.
2. A more exact performance of the Divine will.
3. To excel all others in gentleness.
4. In purity.
5. In truthfulness.
6. In forbearance.
7. In love to mankind.
III. REASONS for doing more than others.
1. By our fruits we are to be known.
2. Works are to be evidence at last.
3. By them the mouths of gainsayers are stopped.
4. God is glorified.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
WEB: If you only greet your friends, what more do you do than others? Don't even the tax collectors do the same?