Judah, you are he whom your brothers shall praise: your hand shall be in the neck of your enemies…
I. JUDAH'S PRAISE.
1. He is first in intercession.
2. He is first in wisdom.
3. He takes precedence in offering (see Numbers 7:12).
4. He takes precedence in march (see Numbers 10:14; Judges 1:2). In all things he has the pre-eminence (Psalm 78:67, 68).>
II. JUDAH'S TRIUMPHS ABROAD. "Thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies." Illustrate by life of David — He passed through severe conflicts (read 1 Samuel 17:34-36). He gained great victories (2 Chronicles 13:14). He founded a peaceful empire. He utterly crushed the forces of his foes, and broke the neck of all opposition. So has our Lord done by His life, death, resurrection, reigning power, and second coming.
III. JUDAH'S HONOURS AT HOME. "Thy father's children shall bow down before thee."
1. He became the head of the family.
2. He was clothed with lion-like power. "He couched as a lion, and as an old lion" (see ver. 9). "The lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed" (Revelation 5:5).
3. He is the centre of our assembling. "To him shall the gathering of the people be" (ver. 10).
4. His glory is His meekness. "Binding his foal," &c. (ver. 11). "Thy King cometh, meek and sitting upon a colt the foal of an ass" (Matthew 21:5).
5. The wine hath at His first and second advent makes Him lovely in our eyes (vers. 11, 12); also "I have trodden the wine-press alone" (Isaiah 63:1-3).
6. He is king to us for ever. Hallelujah (see Hosea 11:12). "Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God." Are we among the foes against whom He fights as a lion? Let us beware how we rouse Him up (ver. 9). Are we among His friends for whom He fights? Let us praise Him with all our hearts, and now bow down before Him. Are we not His Father's children? Do we hunger and thirst after heavenly food? See in the 12th verse how abundant are wine and milk with Him.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee.