(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceases for ever:)
I. THE SOUL OF MAN IS PRECIOUS. For —
1. How high was the origin of the soul. See the history of its creation.
2. How vast its capacities. Small is the power of the human body, but the soul of man gives him a might and mastery all his own.
3. How eternal its duration.
II. ITS REDEMPTION IS PRECIOUS.
1. See the greatness of the Author of Redemption.
2. The price that was paid to redeem us.
3. The stupendous nature of its results. These may affect the whole intelligent universe, and not this world alone. We are brought into a new relationship with God. Eternal woe is escaped and eternal blessedness gained. All this will be seen fully when the whole work of redemption is accomplished. How precious, then, must this work be. How important not to neglect it.
(Hugh Stowell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)