The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delights in his way.
God exercises a special control over His chosen people.
I. GOD HAS A SPECIAL DESIGN IN THEIR PRESERVATION AND GOVERNMENT.
1. He has a plan for the life of each one (Isaiah 30:21).
2. He knows the temperament peculiar to each one (Psalm 139:3).
3. He suits His providence to .the temperament of each one so as to accomplish His design (Matthew 12:20; Ephesians 1:5, 6).
II. GOD EMPLOYS MEANS TO WORK OUT HIS DESIGNS. Sin is to be mortified and expelled, whilst character is to be refined and perfected. For this purpose trials and temptations, persecutions and afflictions, calamities and bereavements, are apportioned to each.
1. These are permissive (Job 1:12).
2. They are decretive (Genesis 22:2; 1 Peter 1:3-9).
3. They are afflictive and corrective (Psalm 119:67, 71; Jeremiah 31:18, 19; Hebrews 12:6-11).
III. THE NATURE OF THESE PROVIDENCES.
1. They are minute and exact (Matthew 10:30).
2. They relate to food and raiment (Psalm 37:25; Matthew 6:25-34).
3. They extend to the whole of life (Job 14:5; Psalm 37:23; Psalm 139:14-16).
1. Let us trust God more implicitly in all the events of life.
2. Let us take comfort from this doctrine. "All things work together for good" (Romans 8:28); they do so now. Whatever else may fail us, God will not (Psalm 97:1).
(L. O. Thompson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
WEB: A man's goings are established by Yahweh. He delights in his way.