Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double minded.
I. SHOW WITH WHAT TEMPERS AND DISPOSITIONS OF MIND WE MUST DRAW NIGH TO GOD.
1. If we are truly and devoutly desirous of drawing nigh to God, one of our earliest considerations will naturally be, how unfit we are to come to Him. This will lead us to a serious examination of ourselves: to a review of our past conversation; and a comparison of it with the rule of His commandments.
2. We must draw nigh to God with firm resolutions of continuing, through His grace, in His service during our whole lives.
3. We must draw nigh with sincerity.By sincerity I mean here a desire to know and do the whole will of God.
II. THERE ARE PROPER PLACES AND TIMES, AS WELL AS DUE DISPOSITIONS, OF DRAWING NIGH TO GOD.
1. Can we approach without ardent love?
2. It becomes us, when drawing nigh to Got, to cherish the spirit of obedience.
3. Our most intense desires should ascend above all temporal blessings.
II. THE PROMISE AFFORDED.
1. Several things are implied in this promise.
(1) It imports the manifestation of His presence. He is ever nigh, but He makes Himself known in a gracious manner only to those who seek Him.
(2) It implies infinite condescension.
2. Several benefits are imparted by the fulfilment of this promise.
(1) The mind derives from it pure and sacred pleasure. "A soul in converse with her God is heaven."
(2) A state of security ensues. If God draw nigh to us, it is not to forsake us immediately afterwards. But if God be with us, we have nothing to fear.
III. CONSIDERATIONS ON THE PERFECTIONS OF GOD AND HIS RELATIONS TO US, AS MOTIVES AND INDUCEMENTS FOR DRAWING NIGH TO HIM.
1. In coming to God, we come to Him who is the blessed and only Potentate; the King of kings, the Lord of lords; who only hath immortality; who, by His word, framed the worlds; and, by the same word of power, upholdeth all things; in whom we live, and move, and have our being.
2. In coming to Him, we come to our Redeemer.
3. In coming to Him, we come to our Judge.
(T. Townson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
WEB: Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.