still as strong today as I was the day Moses sent me out. As my strength was then, so it is now for war, for going out, and for coming in.
I. TRUE RELIGION IS BASED ON PERSONAL RELATIONS WITH GOD. Caleb ascribes his courage and fidelity to his connection with God, and he speaks of the Lord as "my God."
(1) Religion is individual. We must pass from "our" God to "my" God. Each soul is called to as private communion with God as if there were no other souls in existence.
(2) Religion establishes close relations with God. In His personal dealings with the soul God comes near to it, so that He appropriates the soul and the soul lays claim to possessing God.
II. RIGHT PERSONAL RELATIONS WITH GOD WILL BE SHOWN BY OUR FOLLOWING HIM. It is not sufficient that we believe, worship, manifest affection. We must show our devotion by a consistent course of life.
(1) This is to seek to be near to God, love and duty drawing us Godward.
(2) It is to obey His commands, following the course of His will
3) It is to emulate His example - trying to do as He does (Matthew 5:48). Christianity consists in following Christ (Mark 1:17, 18).
III. WE ONLY FOLLOW GOD ARIGHT WHEN WE FOLLOW HIM WHOLLY. We cannot serve God and mammon. We must choose whom we will serve. Half hearted service is no true service. Following God wholly implies
(1) not desisting from service on account of loss or trouble incurred;
(2) taking no account of the opinion and conduct of other men when these would deflect us from fidelity to God;
(3) serving God in all the relations of life, business, social, domestic, and private.
IV. UNDIVIDED DEVOTION TO GOD IS NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS IN HIS WORK. We see how thoroughness and singleness of aim are essential to success in secular pursuits - in business, science, art, literature. They are not less essential in spiritual things. Much of our work fails for lack of thoroughness. Hesitating belief, divided aims, mingled motives, often render religious efforts weak and futile. We need to be more perfectly devoted, giving ourselves wholly to God's service (1 Timothy 4:15). - W.F.A.
By lot was their inheritance.
PeopleAnakites, Arba, Caleb, Eleazar, Israelites, Jephunneh, Joseph, Joshua, Levites, Manasseh, Nun, Ruth
PlacesCanaan, Gilgal, Hebron, Jordan River, Kadesh-barnea, Kiriath-arba
TopicsBattle, Business, I'm, Power, Sending, Strength, Strong, To-day, Vigorous, War, Yet
Outline1. The nine tribes and a half are to have their inheritance by lot
6. Caleb by privilege obtains Hebron
Dictionary of Bible ThemesJoshua 14:6-14
LibraryCaleb --A Green Old Age
'And Caleb... said unto him (Joshua), Thou knowest the thing that the Lord said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadesh- barnea.'--JOSHUA xiv. 6. Five and forty years had passed since the Lord had 'said this thing.' It was the promise to these two, now old men, of the prolongation of their lives, and to Caleb of his inheritance in the land. Seven years of fighting have been got through, and the preparations are being made for the division of the land by lot. But, before that is …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
Exploring Canaan by Faith
LinksJoshua 14:11 NIV
Joshua 14:11 NLT
Joshua 14:11 ESV
Joshua 14:11 NASB
Joshua 14:11 KJV
Joshua 14:11 Bible Apps
Joshua 14:11 Parallel
Joshua 14:11 Biblia Paralela
Joshua 14:11 Chinese Bible
Joshua 14:11 French Bible
Joshua 14:11 German Bible
Joshua 14:11 Commentaries