When a strong man armed keeps his palace, his goods are in peace:…
I. CHRIST AFFIRMS THE ANCIENT DOMINION OF THE EVIL ONE IN ITS STRENGTH AND SECURITY.
1. Satan's kingdom was held by dint of great strength.
2. By means of many and various agencies.
3. With all the security of antiquity and custom.
4. And in consequence of the ignorance of the subjects over whom he reigned.
5. Yet this dominion was iniquitous.
II. CHRIST DECLARES HIMSELF TO BE THE MIGHTY ONE, OVERTHROWING AND SPOILING MAN'S SPIRITUAL TYRANT. The figure is picturesque and vigorous. When you see a warrior in the palace of his foeman, capturing his arms and appropriating his goods, you know that the battle has been lost and won, that the strong man has yielded to the stronger, and is now either bound in the dungeon or dead upon the field. So, when you see such a victory as Christ's over the demon possessing this miserable sufferer, you know that the fight upon our behalf has been fought, that He who came to release the prisoners has already grappled with the grim foe who has made them captive, has demolished his power and humbled his pride.
1. Christ is stronger by reason of His own Divine nature.
2. Christ is proved to be stronger, as appears by the evidence of historical fact. The events of His ministry are witness; even then He saw Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
3. His victories upon earth were an earnest of His complete triumph over His foe and man's. Every foe must he put beneath His feet. Application: Each human heart is a battlefield between the two powers. Has Christ obtained the victory in our spiritual nature?
Parallel VersesKJV: When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: