And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:…
I. A TRUE IDEA OF LIFE. Esau felt himself at the point of death, and all men are at this point.
1. The period of our mortal life.
2. The nature of our mortal life. The moment we begin to live, that moment we begin to die.
II. A TRUE IDEA OF WEALTH. Esau felt that his birthright was nothing to him when he died, and how patent this truth! Lessons:
1. To the aspirant for wealth. How foolish this eagerness. You are reaching after that which is no sooner clasped than let go for ever.
2. To the possessor of wealth.
(1) Do not set your heart upon your possessions, because you will soon leave them.
(2) Use them for purposes that will yield you happiness for ever.
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: