1 Peter 4:17-19
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us…
I. THE HUMAN WORLD MORALLY IS DIVIDED INTO TWO GRAND SECTIONS.
1. "The house of God." All good men are members of one great family, They have one Father, one Elder Brother, one spiritual life, and one common home.
2. Those who "obey not the gospel of God."
II. THESE TWO SECTIONS ARE ALIKE SUBJECT TO SUFFERING.
1. The best men, in their greatest suffering, feel that their sufferings are deserved.
2. That they are disciplinary.
III. THE SUFFERING OF THE ONE IS FAR MORE TERRIBLE THAN THAT OF THE OTHER.
1. The one has resignation to the Divine will; the other has not.
2. The one has peace of conscience; the other has not.
3. The one has the hope of a better life; the other has not.
4. The one has fellowship with the Father; the other has not.Learn: —
1. The transcendent importance of moral character.
2. The fallacy of judging from appearances.
3. The influence of the gospel upon man's destiny.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?