Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.…
I. WHY THIS IGNORANCE AND LACK OF APPREHENSION?
1. Bias, prejudice. So the Jews, because our Lord did not come in the character they anticipated, rejected Him. Our faith, to be strong and healthy, must rest on conviction.
3. Love of the world. Man's mind is often preoccupied, and so, like the seed which fell amongst thorns, the word sown is choked.
4. Pride of heart. It is right for every man to sift Christian evidence, but he must do so with humility — there must be a teachable disposition.
II. DANGER OF CONTINUING THUS IGNORANT.
1. The longer we continue in sin, the more inveterate will become our habits of sin.
2. To resist light adds to our guilt. The privileges of a Christian land, a Christian home, and a Christian training, bring with them corresponding obligations (Luke 12:47, 48).
3. Sometimes brings as its punishment judicial blindness and hardness of heart.
4. Neglected opportunities will aggravate future woe — "Son, remember."
III. How MAY THIS IGNORANCE BE OVERCOME?
1. By the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. 'Tis He who knows " the deep things of fled," and He alone who can teach them.
2. Labour to know the mind of God — "Search the Scriptures."
3. Sanctify the Sabbath — not simply a day of physical rest, but of spiritual labour.
4. Do not stifle the voice of conscience.
5. Look up to Christ as your " all in all."
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.