And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject to us through your name.…
I. THE MISSION OF THE SEVENTY DISCIPLES IS HERE IMPLIED.
1. The purpose for which they were sent.
2. The way in which they were sent.
(1) They were sent out in pairs.
(2) They were to prosecute their work without loss of time.
(3) The manner in which they were to conduct themselves in their visits, and that in reference to those who received and those who rejected them.
II. THE SUCCESS THEY MET WITH IS HERE DECLARED.
1. Exceedingly novel.
2. Preeminently strange.
3. Not by any skill or energy of their own. "Through Thy name."
III. THIS FEELING WITH WHICH THEY REGARDED THEIR SUCCESS IS HERE SHOWS.
1. They rejoiced in the fact that success had attended their efforts.
2. That beings so hateful and dangerous were overcome.
3. The happiness which they had been instrumental in diffusing. 4, In the success of the great cause with which they were identified.
IV. A CONSIDERATION IS URGED WITH THE VIEW OF MODERATING THEIR JOY, AND DIRECTING IT INTO ANOTHER AND HIGHER CHANNEL. We see here the comparative estimate in which miraculous gifts and saving grace should be held. What is the former without the latter? It is possible to possess the one without the other (Matthew 7:21-23). To have cast out devils, and to be ourselves at last cast out among devils, will be horrible indeed!
1. What is meant by having our names written in heaven. It signifies that we are citizens of the celestial city, that we are freemen of the New Jerusalem, and that all its honours and privileges are ours by a rightful title.
2. How the fact may be ascertained. If we are citizens of heaven our conversation is there; we are strangers and pilgrims on earth; like the patriarchs of old, we are looking for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
3. Those may well rejoice who have satisfactory grounds for concluding that this privilege is theirs.
Parallel VersesKJV: And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.