The righteous perishes, and no man lays it to heart: and merciful men are taken away…
1. It may be from the evil of personal suffering. The prolongation of life to old age often involves an immense amount of bodily ills and pains.
2. It may be to spare the heart of affection sore trials. How often do children grow up, to break the hearts of fond parents.
3. It may be to take His child out of harm's way.
4. It may be to shield him from some impending calamity that is coming upon the Church or the world.
5. Or (if we accept the marginal reading) it is to save them "from that which" Is" evil" Life" itself, under the curse of sin, is evil, even in its best estate, and the God of mercy cuts it short and receives His loved one into His bosom.
Parallel VersesKJV: The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.