But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,…
The purpose of Christ's earthly manifestation cannot have been to effect any change in God's disposition towards us, to make Him placable or propitious, for it was the fruit and issue of His love. (1 John 4:10; John 3:16).
I. THE TIMELINESS OF THE ADVENT. Every event in the unfolding of the Divine plan has its proper place. Evidence of this is not wanting in regard to the advent.
1. The proof of the world's need was complete. Philosophy and religion had been tried, and failed. Nothing remained but disappointment and despair.
2. The Jewish nation was prepared. Prophecy fulfilled. People expectant. The old system worn out.
3. The circumstances of the age were favourable. Peace. Civilization. One language.
II. THE SUBJECTION TO HUMAN CONDITIONS WHICH CHRIST'S ADVENT INVOLVED.
1. His true humanity.
(1) Identity of nature with all men.
(2) Antecedent mystery of another and higher nature.
(3) Progressive development.
(4) Completeness of sympathy.
2. His legal obedience. He submits to the yoke under which all are bound.
Parallel VersesKJV: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,