Have respect to the covenant: for the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of cruelty.
— It is the covenant of grace, not of works, that we are to plead.
I. WHAT IS MEANT BY THIS PLEA.
1. Fulfil thy covenant: let it not be a dead letter.
2. Fulfil all its promises.
3. Let nothing hinder or turn them aside.
II. WHENCE THIS PLEA DERIVES ITS FORCE.
1. From the veracity of God.
2. His jealousy for His honour.
3. The venerable character of She covenant.
4. Its solemn endorsement, God's Word.
5. Its seal — the blood of Christ.
6. Nothing in it has ever failed.
7. The testimony of God's dying people.
III. HOW AND WHEN THIS COVENANT MAY BE PLEADED.
1. Under a sense of sin.
2. Labouring after holiness.
3. When under strong temptation.
4. Or in great distress.
IV. PRACTICAL INFERENCES.
1. Have a grateful respect for the covenant to which you pray the Lord to have respect.
2. Have joy in it.
3. Be jealous for it.
4. Practically respect it.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Have respect unto the covenant: for the dark places of the earth are full of the habitations of cruelty.
WEB: Honor your covenant, for haunts of violence fill the dark places of the earth.