2 Corinthians 5:1
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands…
I. THE GOOD MAN'S PRESENT HOUSE. The mind occupies the body. We "dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust."
1. This house is earthly.
(1) From the body returning to the earth, we see that it is composed of the same material.
(2) It draws our spirit down to sublunary objects.
2. Movable. A tent can be easily taken down.
3. Decaying. The term "dissolve" means properly to dis-unite the parts of anything.
4. Exposed. It is situated in a locality where it is liable to the ravages of time and rough usage.
5. Inconvenient (ver. 2). How much of our attention it requires in order to ensure its preservation! It needs daily cleansing, repairs, and protection. Often is it giving us extreme anxiety, putting us to considerable expense, or causing us severe pain.
6. Inferior. Paul desired a better, i.e., a suitable habitation. He longed for the period when his vile body should be fashioned like unto Christ's glorious body.
II. THE GOOD MAN'S FUTURE HOUSE. The redeemed soul's final domicile wilt be the clay tenement in its changed and beautified condition (1 Corinthians 15.). This will be —
1. Superhuman. "A building of God, a house not made with hands." Jehovah will be the architect of this future abode. Though built by the Almighty, the Christian's present house decays as if it had been the work of some poor mortal. The latter, framed thoroughly by the Highest, will be more in harmony with the unchangeableness and excellence of our adorable Maker.
2. Eternal. The body the believer shall ultimately have will never be taken down by death.
3. Unexposed. Its site is to be "in the heavens." There will be nothing to weaken it or mar its beauty.
4. Attractive. Hence the godly in every age have, like the apostle, longed to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.
5. One for which the saint is prepared (ver. 5). Every one that wishes to possess the building of God, must be meetened for it.
6. Assured (ver. 5). God sends forth the Holy Ghost to witness with the believer's spirit that he shall finally have the better body. Conclusion, have you such a house in prospect?
Parallel VersesKJV: For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.