The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!…
I. THE HEAVENLY ESTIMATE OF GOOD MEN. Good men have a golden value in the estimation of heaven.
1. Their principles are intrinsically valuable. They are men of truth, justice, benevolence, worship.
2. Their influence is socially valuable. They are the salt of the earth, the light of the world.
3. Their privileges are infinitely valuable. All things are theirs. Angels are their servants; Christ is their Redeemer; the Lord is their portion.
II. THE WORLDLY ESTIMATE OF GOOD MEN. "How are they esteemed as earthen pitchers?"
1. This estimate has ever been lamentably common.
2. This estimate indicates great moral degeneracy. The human soul is constituted to value the true, to admire the excellent, to worship Divine virtues wherever they exist.
3. This estimate entails fearful spiritual evils. The virtues of the good are the world's uplifting powers. Where they are ignored their salutary influence is not felt.
Parallel VersesKJV: The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!