And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said…
This narrative teaches —
1. The highest development of genuine philanthropy. Importunate intercession with Heaven on behalf of humanity.
2. The mysterious power of intercessory prayer.
3. The incalculable worth of good men, however few in number.
I. That good men in a community, however few, are HIGHLY ESTEEMED OF GOD.
1. Because of the tender relationship they sustain to Him. His children.
2. Because of the critical position in which they are placed in this life.
3. Because of the beneficent influences they are capable of exercising upon the race.
II. That good men in a community, however few, are of INEXPRESSIBLE SOCIAL WORTH.
1. Prize good men more than all others.
2. Seek to multiply good men.
(1) By endeavouring to convert bad men to goodness by the gospel of Christ.
(2) By indoctrinating the rising generation with the principles and spirit of Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.