And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.…
I. THE PREPARATION FOR THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT.
1. The ascension. Christ had taught that His going away was essential to the Spirit's coming.
2. The attitude of the disciples.
(1) Patient waiting.
(4) Fellowship with the risen Christ.
II. ITS SENSIBLE ACCOMPANIMENTS. The elements of nature were now, as so often, symbolical of spiritual realities.
1. The sound like wind indicating the immediacy, secrecy and swiftness of the Divine action.
2. The appearance like fire symbolising warming, quickening, cleansing.
III. THE GIFT ITSELF. The Spirit's influence was —
1. In its nature adapted to affect men's minds and hearts.
2. In its measure as vast as human capacities could receive.
3. In its extent universal, being designed for Christ's whole Church.
IV. THE IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCES.
1. The apostles were empowered to speak with other tongues, which was a sign of Divine energy.
2. Preaching was made powerful to the conversion of many; enemies of Christ became friends.
3. The Church was established upon a sure and lasting foundation.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.