For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered to them his goods.…
I. WHAT WAS COMMITTED TO THEM.
1. It was a responsible trust.
2. It was not alike in the case of all. It differed not in nature, but in amount.
3. It was regulated by a certain principle — "To every man according to his several ability."
II. WHAT WAS DONE BY THEM.
1. The faithful.
2. The slothful.
(1) A spirit of dissatisfaction;
(2) or this servant may have felt that it was in vain for him to exert himself, on the ground that his means were so limited.
(3) Again, this servant may have been one of those timid, over-cautious persons, who, lest they should do wrong, do nothing. We should "add to our faith, fortitude."
III. THE ACCOUNT REQUIRED OF THEM.
1. It was delayed for a considerable period.
2. Highly gratifying in the case of those who were first summoned.
(1) An emphatic expression of approval.
(2) Promotion to a state of high dignity and honour.
(3) The enjoyment of transporting bliss. The case of the other servant.
3. Unsatisfactory in its nature, and most serious in its results.
(1) A foolish plea.
(2) A withering rebuke.
(3) A peremptory command.
(4) A fearful doom.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.