And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light…
I. A REALM EVER CLEAR IN VISION.
1. There will be no error in our conception of things there. Far enough am I from believing that we shall ever see all things in heaven. There will always be universes lying beyond the ken of the most penetrating eye. Nor do I believe that different minds will ever have exactly the same view of things, see things in exactly the same light. Our views will necessarily be relative. They will be true to us, but not necessarily true to others. God alone can see the whole of a thing. We only see sections and sides. Not only does it appear impossible, but undesirable. Diversity of view gives a freshness and charm to society. Still, our range of vision, though limited, and our views, though relative, will be clear and accurate.
2. No doubt as to the path of duty. God's Will, will radiate on everything without, and will express itself in every impulse within.
II. A REALM EVER PURE IN CHARACTER. There are the holy angels whose natures, through the ages of their being, have never been clouded with one impure thought or touched by the thrill of one unholy passion. The redeemed of all ages are there. They have had their robes washed and made white in the blood of the Lamb. Christ, whose love for purity was so unconquerable, that He gave His life's blood to cleanse the pollution of the world, is in the midst of its throne. He who is light, and in whom there is no darkness at all, fills with the sunshine of His presence the whole of that blessed scene.
III. A REALM EVER BEAUTIFUL IN ASPECT.
1. All natural beauties will be there.
2. All artistic beauties will be there. The very instinct of genius is to invent, imitate, and create, and there genius will flourish in perfection.
3. All moral beauties will be there. The beauty of holiness, the beauty of the Lord, will adorn every spirit. Thus all wilt rejoice in each other, and all rejoice in the Lord whence all their beauty came.
IV. A REALM OF EVER UNCHECKED PROGRESS.
1. No check to the advance of life. The vital energies will always be increasing. Sinew and soul, character and conscience, will be ever growing in force. No blight to wither, no shadow to chill there. But all the influences that play around existence there, inspire, invigorate, and uplift.
2. No checking of labour. Our range of action will be unrestrained. We shall be always abounding in the work of the Lord.
V. A REALM EVER JOYOUS IN SPIRIT. A bright day sets the world to music. What happiness, then, must there be in a world where there is no night.
Parallel VersesKJV: And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.