Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister…
I. THE IMPORT OF THE PROMISE.
1. It includes in it more than that natural and essential presence of God which surrounds all beings and all things; for the essence of God is diffused through the trackless path of immensity.
2. It refers to God's special and gracious presence.
3. A more than ordinary communication of God's presence is vouchsafed to those who are called out to services of peculiar difficulty, to offices of high responsibility.
II. THE CERTAINTY OF THE FULFILMENT OF THIS PROMISE. I feel assured of its fulfilment when I reflect —
1. On the Author of this promise. "I will be with thee. I will not leave thee," &c. "God is not a man that He should lie, neither the Son of man that He should repent."
2. The terms in which the promise is couched. Repetition, but no tautology.
3. Experience. Was not God with Moses?
III. THE ADVANTAGES WHICH THE FULFILMENT OF THIS PROMISE WILL THROW OVER YOUR WHOLE LIFE. Oh, let but this be fulfilled, and you are safe for both worlds, for time and for eternity! Mark its influence —
1. On the hours of solitude. Every real Christian will wish to be alone: he will say, "I am never less alone than when alone."
2. On your intercourse with society. Others will take knowledge of you, that you have been with Jesus.
3. On your conduct. Prudence; benevolence; sanctity.
4. On afflictions and distresses. If God be with us, no weapon shall prosper against us, no trap shall catch us, no pit shall ensnare us.
5. On the days of life's decline, and in the immediate prospect of its conclusion. All earthly attachments are doomed to be dissolved; but God is ever with His servants, especially when most needed.Lessons:
1. Admire the astonishing condescension and grace of God, that He should thus address Himself to worms of the earth, to sinful worms, to such as you and I are!
2. Let me ask you if you have an interest in this promise.
3. Be very thankful for any measure of the fulfilment of this promise which you may have enjoyed.
(G. Clayton, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,