And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.…
1. Sometimes what unbelief feareth, cometh to pass in the very time and place expected.
2. Unclean hearts love to gaze where lust may be satisfied.
3. Eminency of beauty God can give in old age (ver. 14).
4. The greatest beauty may bring the greatest danger.
5. High places make men bold sometimes to commit high sins.
6. Courts of wicked kings are usually schools of uncleanness.
7. God suffers chastest souls sometimes to be tempted in such places.
8. It is a grievous temptation to be under the power of a lustful king (ver. 15).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.