And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.…
1. God's help useth not to be far off from the extremities of His servants.
2. Great plagues are near to great sins.
3. God is the only Protector of the innocency and chastity of His saints.
4. God will reprove and punish the proudest of kings and princes for His people (Psalm 105:12).
5. God's plagues are the speedy and terrible remedy against lust.
6. Partners in sin must be so in judgment.
7. The saving of His from sin is more dear to God than the lives of the wicked (ver. 17).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.