And I say also to you, That you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Our Lord Jesus Christ in His Divine character as the Messiah, the Son of the living God, and the foundation of the Christian Church.
I. THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH IS, FOR EVERYTHING THAT DISTINGUISHES IT AS SUCH, DIRECTLY DEPENDENT UPON CHRIST AS GOD. The Church is distinguished from all other forms of organized society —
1. By its peculiar origin and history. It comes up out of the past as no other form of organized society ever has or can. It takes root in the garden of man's innocency, immediately after the first sin.
2. By the character of its members. No other organization has ever been found thus constituted.
3. By its system of government and law. Governs from within.
II. THE CHURCH OF CHRIST, BEING THUS BUILDED UPON HIM, AS MESSIAH, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD, IS ASSURED OF SECURITY AND PERPETUITY.
1. The yawning gates of death, open to receive the Church; the gates into which all human travellers pass. The disciples were dying men; enemies might say that the Church would pass away with the few fanatics who had been deceived by it. Believers have died, but the Church lives.
2. The Church's security and perpetuity beyond this earthly life. The heavenly Church.
(A. J. Kynett, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.