And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light…
I. THAT YOU, WHO ARE THE LAMB'S FAITHFUL SERVANTS NOW, SHALL REIGN WHEN YOU COME TO HEAVEN.
1. I give you some of the characters of those to whom heaven is promised as a kingdom.
2. Some Scriptural account of your reign in heaven.
(1) As to what it shall consist in. Your reign in heaven will consist in your sharing, and communion with Jesus Christ, in all His communicable glory, according to your capacity. Your reign in heaven will consist in your immediate subjection unto God and the Lamb. Your reign in heaven will consist in an equality with the angels of God in glory and happiness. Your reign in heaven will consist in a satisfying possession of all happiness in God.
(2) The qualities of your reign in heaven.
(a) You shall reign there gloriously.
(b) You shall reign in heaven jointly and severally with all the saints.
(c) Your reign in heaven will be quiet and peaceable, calm and undisturbed.
(d) You shall reign in heaven joyfully.
(e) Your reign in heaven shall be just and righteous.
(f) Your reign in heaven shall be very long, longer than the thousand years' reign of the saints with Jesus Christ upon the earth. It will be for ever and ever.
3. Whence it is that you shall reign in heaven.
(1) The original cause of your future reign in heaven is the sovereign, rich, free love, and grace of God the Father.
(2) That you shall reign in heaven is owing to the mediation of Jesus Christ our Lord.
(3) That you shall reign in heaven will be owing to the effectual grace of the Holy Ghost. He calls you effectually to this kingdom and glory.
II. THE HAPPINESS OF HEAVEN IS "FOR EVER AND EVER."
1. Your reign and happiness in heaven will be immutable: if it admitted any change, it would not be for ever and ever.
2. Your reign and happiness in heaven will be everlasting and without all end. It is everlasting life, everlasting consolation, an eternal inheritance, an eternal weight of glory, eternal salvation, pleasures for evermore, a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
3. But if you now inquire what the eternity of heaven and the happiness of it is founded upon, I answer, It is founded upon the eternity and unchangeableness of God and His perfections, in covenant with His people through Jesus Christ.
(1) But, particularly, it is first founded upon the eternity and unchangeableness of the love, grace, mercy, and kindness of God to them.
(2) It is founded upon the will and pleasure of God; it is His express will and pleasure that it shall be so (John 6:40).
(3) It is also founded upon the power of God, that is not only almighty, but an eternal power; and the strength of this power will endure for ever, to make you happy for ever, and to lengthen out your immortality.
(4) It is founded upon the holiness of God.
(5) It is founded upon the justice and righteousness of God (2 Timothy 4:8; 2 Thessalonians 1:6, 7). Indeed, not justice to any merit in your own works, but justice to Christ's merits and His own promise.
(6) It is founded upon the everlasting efficacy of the media. tion of Jesus Christ. His kingdom and glory, into which you shall have an abundant entrance, is an everlasting kingdom and glory.
(7) It is founded upon your eternal union and communion with the Holy Ghost. He came into you, not to stay for a time, but for ever (John 14:16).Infer:
1. Shall your reign and happiness be for ever and ever? Then hence see the inconceivable greatness of the hope and happiness laid up for you in heaven.
2. Then things are valuable and precious here in proportion to the influence they have in bringing us to the enjoyment of an eternity of happiness.
3. The love of God to you who are His people is incomprehensibly great, which hath designed for you a glory not only so great in itself, but also for ever.
4. Learn hence the wisdom and sagacity of the people of God, who renounce a present and temporary happiness, and choose an unseen and future blessedness because it is eternal.
5. Then let me prevail with you to seek after this eternal happiness first and most, with the utmost earnestness, industry, and self-denial.
6. Then let the servants of God and the Lamb comfort themselves and one another with the consideration of the eternity of their reign and happiness in heaven.
7. Let the consideration of the eternity of your happiness in heaven engage and excite you to the duties of holiness and obedience.
(James Robe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.