And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light…
1. There shall be no sin there. The works of darkness are excluded, and all that have fellowship with them. And more than that — the past sins of those who are admitted shall not enter there to haunt them.
2. There shall be no more sorrow there. Heaviness may have endured for the night, but this is the morning-tide, and joy cometh. It is the harvest of joy after the seed-time of tears; and all the light and brief afflictions of the mortal life shall be turned into an exceeding and eternal weight of glory.
3. There shall be no chastisement there. The fatherly correction, which brought them home, shall be no more.
4. There shall be no trial there, and no temptation any more. For they have endured, and are blessed; yea, they have endured unto the end, and they are saved.
5. There shall be no weariness there.
6. There shall be no ignorance there; but they shall all know, even as also they are known.
7. There shall be no decay there, Because there is no corruption, there shall be no more "drawing to an end as soon as we are born."
8. There shall be no loneliness there. For this also is of the night.
9. There shall be no adversary there — no spiritual wickedness any more to wrestle with in heavenly places — no powers of darkness! The prince of this world is cast out of the next; his engines, his lies, his fury, all are spent.
10. To crown all — There shall be no estrangement from God there; no more darkness of spirit; no more clouds and gloom between our spirits and their Lord. This is blessedness indeed, because it is holiness! But for that very reason, it is not blessedness for all. The night-bird, if it is disturbed at noonday, is only blinded by the sunbeams. And the light of that world will be indeed insufferable to those who in this world have loved darkness rather than light. They have refused to come to the light because their deeds were evil. And now the light has come to them, and made their deeds manifest. They have had their choice. And their place henceforth is in the outer darkness, lighted only by the fire that never shall be quenched.
Parallel VersesKJV: And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.