Jacob, however, took fresh branches of poplar, almond, and plane trees, and peeled the bark, exposing the white inner wood of the branches.
I. The birth of Joseph a REWARD OF FAITH AND ANSWER TO PRAYER. God remembers, though we think he forgets. Reproach may lie awhile on the true believer, but is taken away at last. Syrophenician woman; seeming neglect calls out stronger expression of faith. Pray without ceasing.
II. BLESSINGS WAITED FOR are the more appreciated and the richer WHEN THEY COME. "Joseph a type of him who, though he was sent after many prophets and long tarrying, was greater than all his brethren. The Rachel, the true beloved, the chosen bride, the Church in whom the true Jacob finds special delight, waits and prays. When God shall show that he has remembered and hearkened, the elect one shall be abundantly satisfied. God hath taken away my reproach."
III. All experience of Divine faithfulness is a great help, in looking forward, to cherish expectation. "The Lord shall add to me another son," We ask for more when we know that our prayer is heard. - R.
Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it.I. IT WAS ENTERED UPON IN OPPOSITION TO HIS BETTER FEELINGS AND CONVICTIONS.
II. IT WAS MARKED BY WORLDLY PRUDENCE.
1. The prudence which calculates.
2. The prudence which takes advantage of superior knowledge.
(T. H. Leale.)
PeopleAsher, Bilhah, Dan, Dinah, Gad, Issachar, Jacob, Joseph, Laban, Leah, Naphtali, Rachel, Reuben, Zebulun, Zilpah
TopicsAlmond, Almond-tree, Appear, Bands, Bare, Bark, Branches, Chesnut, Chesnut-tree, Chestnut, Cutting, Exposing, Fresh, Fresh-cut, Green, Hazel, However, Inner, Jacob, Making, Maple, Peel, Peeled, Peeling, Peelings, Pilled, Plane, Plane-tree, Poplar, Rod, Rods, Skin, Streaks, Stripes, Taketh, Tree, Trees, Uncovering, Wood
Outline1. Rachel, in grief for her barrenness, gives Bilhah her maid unto Jacob.
5. Bilhah bears Dan and Naphtali.
9. Leah gives Zilpah her maid, who bears Gad and Asher.
14. Reuben finds mandrakes,
15. with which Leah buys her husband's company of Rachel.
17. Leah bears Issachar, Zebulun, and Dinah.
22. Rachel bears Joseph.
25. Jacob desires to depart.
27. Laban detains him on a new agreement.
37. Jacob's policy, whereby he becomes rich.
Dictionary of Bible ThemesGenesis 30:37
LibraryMeditations for Household Piety.
1. If thou be called to the government of a family, thou must not hold it sufficient to serve God and live uprightly in thy own person, unless thou cause all under thy charge to do the same with thee. For the performance of this duty God was so well pleased with Abraham, that he would not hide from him his counsel: "For," saith God, "I know him that he will command his sons and his household after him that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and judgment, that the Lord may bring upon …
Lewis Bayly—The Practice of Piety
LinksGenesis 30:37 NIV
Genesis 30:37 NLT
Genesis 30:37 ESV
Genesis 30:37 NASB
Genesis 30:37 KJV
Genesis 30:37 Bible Apps
Genesis 30:37 Parallel
Genesis 30:37 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 30:37 Chinese Bible
Genesis 30:37 French Bible
Genesis 30:37 German Bible
Genesis 30:37 Commentaries