These are the sons of Esau's son Reuel: Chiefs Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah. They are the chiefs descended from Reuel in the land of Edom, and they are the grandsons of Esau's wife Basemath.
I. THE WAY IN WHICH ALL JACOB'S PREVIOUS CULTURE TENDED TO THIS ONE RESULT OF MAKING HIM AN ISRAEL.
I. GOD REQUIRES ENTIRE DEVOTEDNESS AND FAITH. Edom is allied to the true kingdom, but is not one with it. We may keep in mind the relationship between the descendants of the two brothers, that we may learn the more clearly to distinguish the true heirs of the blessing.
II. THE TRUE BELIEVERS SET APART BY SPECIAL GRACE. The rest of the Book of Genesis follows the course of the one family in whose midst the ark of the covenant, as it were, was already resting, where was
(1) the revelation of God and
(2) the special manifestation of his favor, and out of which should come forth
(3) the people among the peoples, the kingdom among the kingdoms, the Goshen in the Egypt, the seed of life in the world of death. - R.
God appeared unto Jacob again.1. God useth to knit comforts unto griefs for His saints. When creature comforts go out of sight, God cometh in.
2. God's appearance is enough to countervail the disappearance of any comfort.
3. In various ways God hath appeared to His saints, but now only in Christ.
4. Repeated manifestations of Himself doth God afford to the necessities of His saints.
5. All God's gracious appearances are to bless His people.
6. God's blessing for this life and that which is to come is effectual.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
2. God minds His saints of their own mean name and state in changing
3. God alone removeth the lost estate and name of His people.
4. God alone bringeth His saints to a higher name and state.
5. God's sanction alone settles the name and glory of His saints.
6. This sanction God repeats at His pleasure for His people (ver. 10).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
He called his name Israel —
II. THE WAY IN WHICH ALL JACOB'S SUBSEQUENT EXPERIENCES IN LIFE TENDED TO THE CONFIRMING IN HIM OF THE CHARACTER OF AN "ISRAEL." Even to the end of Jacob's life, God did not wholly remit His discipline. Loss of Joseph, famine, anxiety respecting Benjamin, &c.
III. WHAT A GLORIOUS ISSUE IT WAS TO A LIFE SO UNTOWARDLY BEGUN, THAT, BY THE DIVINE CULTURE, IT SHOULD BE THUS TRANSFORMED FROM THE CHARACTER OF A "SUPPLANTER" INTO THAT OF AN "ISRAEL."
1. It is a glorious thing for a man, by means of a Divine discipline of life, to be made acquainted with the characteristics of his own nature.
2. It is a glorious thing to have life enriched with manifold experiences.
3. It is a glorious thing to be made conscious of moral improvement and advantage.
4. It is a glorious thing to be brought into intimate fellowship and communion with God.
PeopleAchan, Achbor, Adah, Aholibamah, Aiah, Ajah, Akan, Alvah, Alvan, Amalek, Anah, Aran, Baalhanan, Bashemath, Basmath, Bedad, Bela, Beor, Bilhan, Canaanites, Cheran, Dishan, Dishon, Edomites, Elah, Eliphaz, Elon, Esau, Eshban, Ezer, Gatam, Hadad, Hadar, Hanan, Hemam, Heman, Hemdan, Hivite, Homam, Hori, Horites, Husham, Iram, Ishmael, Israelites, Ithran, Jaalam, Jacob, Jetheth, Jeush, Jobab, Kenaz, Korah, Lotan, Magdiel, Manahath, Matred, Mehetabel, Mezahab, Mibzar, Midianites, Mizzah, Nahath, Nebaioth, Nebajoth, Omar, Onam, Pinon, Reuel, Samlah, Saul, Seir, Shammah, Shaul, Shepho, Shobal, Teman, Temanites, Timna, Timnah, Zaavan, Zepho, Zerah, Zibeon
PlacesAvith, Bozrah, Canaan, Dinhabah, Edom, Euphrates River, Hebron, Masrekah, Midian, Moab, Pau, Rehoboth, Seir
TopicsBasemath, Bas'emath, Bashemath, Basmath, Chief, Chiefs, Descendants, Descended, Duke, Dukes, Edom, Esau, Esau's, Grandsons, Mizzah, Nahath, Reuel, Reu'el, Shammah, Sons, Wife, Zerah
Outline1. Esau's three wives.
6. His removal to mount Seir.
9. His sons.
15. The dukes which descended of his sons.
20. The sons and dukes of Seir the Horite.
24. Anah finds mules.
31. The kings of Edom.
40. The dukes that descended of Esau.
Dictionary of Bible ThemesGenesis 36:10-43
LibrarySyria at the Beginning of the Egyptian Conquest
SYRIA AT THE BEGINNING OF THE EGYPTIAN CONQUEST NINEVEH AND THE FIRST COSSAEAN KINGS-THE PEOPLES OF SYRIA, THEIR TOWNS, THEIR CIVILIZATION, THEIR RELIGION-PHOENICIA. The dynasty of Uruazagga-The Cossseans: their country, their gods, their conquest of Chaldaea-The first sovereigns of Assyria, and the first Cossaean Icings: Agumhakrime. The Egyptian names for Syria: Khara, Zahi, Lotanu, Kefatiu-The military highway from the Nile to the Euphrates: first section from Zalu to Gaza-The Canaanites: …
G. Maspero—History Of Egypt, Chaldaea, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria, V 4
LinksGenesis 36:17 NIV
Genesis 36:17 NLT
Genesis 36:17 ESV
Genesis 36:17 NASB
Genesis 36:17 KJV
Genesis 36:17 Bible Apps
Genesis 36:17 Parallel
Genesis 36:17 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 36:17 Chinese Bible
Genesis 36:17 French Bible
Genesis 36:17 German Bible
Genesis 36:17 Commentaries